When is the 2021 iPhone 13 released?
The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro are available for pre-order on the 17th of September 2021 and are released in-store worldwide on the 24th of September.
iPhone 13 design changes
Both of the new models feature Super Retina XDR Displays that are 28 percent brighter.
- The iPhone 13 mini has a 2340x1080 resolution with 476 pixels per inch.
- The iPhone 13 has a 2532x1170 resolution with 460 pixels per inch.
- The iPhone 13 Pro has a 2532x1170 resolution with 460 pixels per inch.
- The iPhone 13 Pro Max has a 2778x1284 resolution with 458 pixels per inch.
- All models feature 1200 nits max brightness for HDR, along with True Tone to match the color temperature of the display to the ambient light, Wide Color for rich, vivid hues, and Haptic Touch for feedback.
- The Face ID notch is now slightly smaller and takes up less space on the display.
- The front-facing TrueDepth camera has been given an update.
- IP68 water and dust resistance are included, and the iPhones can cope with being in 6 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
- The iPhones are available to buy with 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB of storage.
Battery life has been improved thanks to larger batteries and the more efficient A15 chip.
- The iPhone 13 mini offers up to 1.5 hours more battery life.
- The iPhone 13 offers up to 2.5 hours more battery life.
The new chip offers a 6-core CPU with 2 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, a 4-core GPU (one less GPU core than the Pro models), and a 16-core Neural Engine.
There's a new diagonal dual-lens rear camera with 12 megapixel Wide and Ultra Wide cameras. The camera features an improved f/1.6 aperture that lets in 47 percent more light and Sensor-Shift Stabilization, while the Ultra-Wide camera features an improved f/2.4 aperture for improved performance in low light conditions.
The iPhone 13 models introduce Cinematic Mode, a similar feature to Portrait Mode, that uses 'rack focus' to seamlessly shift focus from one subject to another, artfully blurring the background and creating movie-quality depth effects.
Cinematic mode shoots in Dolby HDR and the depth of field and blur can be adjusted using the iPhone's camera app. The iPhone 13 models also support 4K video recording at up to 60 fps.
Smart HDR 4 analyzes up to four people in a photo and optimizes contrast, lighting, and skin tones for each person.
Photographic Styles apply filters to an image, muting colors or boosting vividness without impacting skin tones. There are Vibrant, Rich Contrast, Warm, and Cool options, long with settings for Tone and Warmth for customization and refining.
Camera improvements in the iPhone 13 Pro
The triple-lens rear camera has been given an upgrade, with an f/2.8 Telephoto lens, an f/1.5 Wide lens, and an f/1.8 Ultra Wide lens. The Wide lens features an aperture that lets in 2.2x more light. The Ultra Wide lens lets in 92 percent more light for better low-light performance.
The 77mm Telephoto lens features 3x optical zoom in, up from 2.5x in the 12 Pro Max, and with the addition of the Ultra Wide lens, there is a 6x optical zoom range and support for 15x digital zoom.
The pro-only LiDAR Scanner, which enables Night Mode portraits and ProRes video recording that lets users record ProRes video in 4K at up to 30 frames per second.
Siri User Guide Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.