iOS 17 introduces the ability to send messages to contacts using compatible third-party apps, such as Telegram or WhatsApp. In this article, we’ll show you how to enable and use the feature.
How does it work?
Before iOS 17, when asking Siri to send a message from an iPhone, the only option was to do so using the default Messages app. With this update, you can now tap to select your preferred app from a list, before it is sent.
To be used with this feature, third-party apps must have the Use with Ask Siri option available and enabled in Settings. To check if an app is compatible with Siri, and to enable it, do the following:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, then tap Siri & Search.
- Scroll down until you reach the list of installed apps, then tap on the app you wish to use with Siri to send messages.
- Tap the toggle switch to enable Use with Ask Siri.
How to send a message with Siri using a third-party app
Once Use with Ask Siri is enabled for a messaging app, you can choose it each time you ask Siri to send a message:
- Activate Siri by saying ”Siri” or “Hey Siri”.
- Press and hold the Side/Home button until Siri appears.
- Ask Siri to send a message to one of your contacts.
- In the message card that appears at the top of the screen, tap the Messages icon next to the contact’s name.
- Choose from one of the other compatible messaging apps in the dropdown to select it.
- Type or dictate your message, then tap send.
That’s it, your message will be sent using your app of choice.