Apple has dramatically improved the default iOS and macOS ￼Maps app￼ since its rather bumpy launch in 2012, with better accuracy and additional features like avoiding toll roads, adding stops to a journey, and showing the location of a parked car.
Still, for now, Google Maps continues to hold the crown as the leading maps and directions app on mobile devices.
So it’s welcome news that Google Maps comes with Siri integration when installed on an iOS device. You can ask Siri to provide directions to a specific place using Google Maps on your iPhone, iPad, and even with Apple CarPlay.
This means you are now able to ask Siri to give you directions using your preferred mapping app, rather than being limited to using Apple Maps alone.
Note: Google Maps on the Apple Watch doesn’t work with Siri at this time.
How does Google Maps work with Siri?
All you have to do is ask for directions by adding the phrase “Google Maps” at the end of your spoken request.
Activate Siri on an iPhone or iPad by using one of these options:
- Say “Hey Siri” followed by your request.
- Press and hold the Side button (iPhone X and newer) or Home button (iPhone 8 and older) on your iPhone.
If this doesn’t work, learn how to set up Siri on an iPhone.
For example, you can say:
Hey Siri, give me directions to LAX using Google Maps.
Hey Siri, get me directions from San Francisco to Las Vegas using Google Maps.
The Google Maps app will open up and display directions in response to your request. Or provide an answer within the Siri screen if you’ve asked a specific question.
Remember, if you don’t designate a specific app for directions when you say the Siri command, Apple Maps will be used to provide results by default.
How to use Google Maps with Apple CarPlay
To use Google Maps with CarPlay, first, make sure you have Google Maps installed on your iPhone.
- Activate CarPlay by connecting your iPhone to your vehicle.
- Launch Google Maps by tapping on its icon.
- Next, tap the screen until you see an Add Destination button across the top, then tap it.
- A menu appears that lets you choose how you’d like to add a destination.
- To use Siri, select Voice Search: This allows you to search for a destination using your voice.
- Now, if you tap the Voice Search button, you’ll be asked where you’d like to go.
Google continues to update the app with new features. It now has dark mode, which you can set on ‘on’, ‘off’ or ‘same as device settings’.
Google Maps is available on the App Store as a free download.