As useful as Siri is, there may be times when you want to disable it on your device. Here is how you can turn Siri off on your iPhone, iPad, and macOS.
It's worth remembering that once the virtual assistant is switched off, you won't be able to use voice dialing or voice control. This will prevent you from being able to perform dictation and translate phrases into other languages.
How to turn off Siri on an iPhone or iPad
To disable Siri on an iOS device:
- Go to Settings > Siri & Search.
- Turn off Listen for "Hey Siri".
- Turn off Press Side Button for Siri.
- Confirm when prompted to Turn Off Siri.
How to turn off Siri Suggestions on an iPhone or iPad
Siri anonymously monitors your behavior so that it can offer up helpful suggestions for websites and apps when performing searches. If you no longer wish to use Siri Suggestions, go to Settings > Siri & Search and toggle off the following:
- Suggestions in Search.
- Suggestions in Look Up.
- Suggestions on Lock Screen.
How to remove the Siri app suggestions widget from today view
You might see Siri attempting to provide app recommendations on your Today View screen. Follow these steps to access your widgets and hide the Siri Suggestions widget:
- From your home screen, swipe right until you see the Today View.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Edit.
- The widgets will start wobbling on the screen. Tap the minus button next to Siri App Suggestions widget, then choose Remove.
How to remove the Siri app suggestions widget from your home screen
To remove the Siri Suggestions widget from your Home Screen:
- From your home screen, touch and hold an empty area until the apps start wobbling.
- Tap the minus button next to the Siri Suggestions widget, then choose Remove.
Disable dictation on iOS
You should disable dictation on your iOS device as well since it won't work anymore. This is also necessary if you wish to remove all of your voice data from Apple's servers.
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard.
- Scroll down and turn off Enable Dictation.
- Press Turn Off Dictation to confirm.
Once you've followed the steps above, it's recommended you clear all of your information from Apple's servers as described in this article.
How to turn off Siri in macOS
Deactivating Siri on a Mac is also reasonably straightforward.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac**.**
- Uncheck the Enable Ask Siri checkbox.
How to turn off Siri Suggestions in macOS
- Turning off Siri Suggestions in macOS is relatively straightforward:
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
- Select the Siri preference pane.
- Choose Siri Suggestions & Privacy.
- Select apps from the right-hand column and uncheck the options as desired.
- Press Done when finished.
How to disable dictation features in macOS
Like Siri on iOS, disabling Siri on macOS doesn't automatically remove all of your voice data from Apple's servers. For that, you have to turn off Dictation.
- Open System Preferences.
- Choose Keyboard.
- Select the Dictation tab to turn the feature off.
Siri User Guide Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.